Atlantic Canada Flood Mapping Conference
Natural Resources Canada partnered with CLIMAtlantic to host the first Atlantic Canada Flood Mapping Conference
Halifax, Nova Scotia (Virtual & in-person)
October 5 and 6, 2022
The Atlantic Canada Flood Mapping Conference aimed to address some of the key challenges concerning flood hazard mapping methodologies applied in the Atlantic provinces. The event hosted presentations from both flood mapping practitioners and flood map users followed by interactive discussions to facilitate knowledge sharing across academia, government, non-profit organizations, Indigenous communities, and consultants.
The targeted outcome was to bring more clarity for local stakeholders across the flood mapping framework, as well as highlight best practices in the region.
Thursday, October 6th was a working session to identify and develop best practices for flood mapping. We limited the number of participants to ensure this day is successful. We had participants from some of the following expertise and experiences:
- practical and previous knowledge of generating or sharing flood maps;
- experience communicating flood hazards;
- experience in using flood maps for planning, emergency response, conservation, or other regulatory activities;
- an understanding of the diversity of sectors using flood maps;
- an understanding of / or representing a diversity of backgrounds.